Family Law - Separation & Stress

Family Law - Separation & Stress

Separation and Stress

Separation is a difficult time and it is normal to feel stressed or upset. Finding ways to manage these feelings is an important part of moving on and feeling better about yourself. Sometimes it can be difficult to know if what you’re feeling is normal or something that you should get help with.

Are you:

  • Having trouble sleeping?
  • Having trouble concentrating?
  • Feeling overwhelmed?
  • Feeling moody and easily frustrated?
  • Irritable or anxious all the time?

If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms then you might need to get help or make changes to your day-to-day life.

It's important to remember that stress is normal, but if you feel stressed all the time and have been living with these symptoms for a while, it can lead to depression and other mental health issues in the future.

What can you do?

L   Learn about your stressors and put changes in place to avoid them
Overuse of alcohol or medications usually make the situation worse
Operate in a positive way. Give yourself a pat on the back for doing something well
Keep focussing on the good, even in difficult situations

A  Accept the things that can’t be changed
F  Find time to relax
T  Talk to a friend or family member
E  Eat healthy meals
R  Realise that things will eventually get better

Y  You can make a list of everything you enjoy doing
O  Ordinary is ok. Lower the bar!
U  Understand your body and recognise when you need extra help
R  Realise that there are only so many hours in a day
S  Seek the assistance of a doctor or counsellor
E  Energise with gentle exercise like a walk or a bike ride
Look for ways to alter the situation and adapt to the stressor
Find a way to break your goals into small steps

Remember, you can’t give your best for your kids if you don’t look after yourself too.

Who can help?

If nothing helps, then maybe you need to talk to someone about how you are feeling. If you’re not comfortable talking to a friend or family member, then making an appointment to see a counsellor or doctor might be a good option. There are also a number of organisations that offer support and advice.
LIFELINE 13 11 14
Beyondblue 1300 224 636
Mensline Australia 1300 789 978
Department of Veterans Affairs 1800 555 254
Family Relationship Advice Line 1800 050 321
Kids Helpline 1800 551 800
Reach Out
Other organisations that may provide services in your area include, Anglicare, Centacare, Interrelate, Relationships Australia, Unitingcare Australia and Unifam.

Thanks to the Family Court of Australia for this publication

Back to Articles